About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC
I am a second year teacher originally from Augusta, GA. I just got married in July and my husband and I LOVE Greenville. This blog is to provide connections between my students and their parents.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Our First Holiday Apart...

It's our very first holiday separated from our students and as wonderful and needed as this break is, I miss my kids. Don't get me wrong, I definitely need 5 more days away so that I can get my life together and regain my patience but I do miss those crazy kids. As I was reflecting on what they might be doing on their days off (hopefully not gangs or drugs, not kidding) I began to think of how thankful I am this Thanksgiving. So here is my school Thanksgiving list for 2010:

1) I am thankful for a job. As difficult as it is, working at a first year charter school,  I regret complaining all the time. I am so thankful to have a job.

2)  I am thankful for working with such great people.  The plus to working at a first year charter school is that there are a lot of first year teachers so this is to Terrence, Heather, Meg, Katherine, Carmen, Kalena, Betsy and adopted Jennifer. I definitely would not be surviving this year without you!

3)  I am thankful for first year roomies! What would we do if we could not throw open the door, grab a beer, sit down, and vent?? I am so thankful that whether it's a high day or a low day, my roomies understand every frustration and usually have a funny comparing story to go with it.  So many thanks to Amy and Sallie!!

4) I am thankful for food and family.  My students are constant reminders that I had/have an amazing life growing up. A student this week wrote her journal on how she was worried because her mom has had trouble with money and they didn't know how they were going to get food to eat this week. Talk about breaking your heart. Terrence and I did something for her but still...the fear that child must hold over food and wondering if she'll have dinner that night. I am blessed.

5)  I am thankful for my amazing team. In middle school you teach in teams and this was probably one of my top fears for getting a teaching job.  Thankfully, I work with three males. One, how awesome to have that many on just one team and two, they are fantastic! Terrence (history) is a first year but he's 28 with a family. Chuck and Steve are veterans and most often total opposites. They keep me laughing all the time while supporting me in every move. Chuck is my school dad, Terrence is my school husband, and Steve, well Steve and I talk about drinking. haha Love them all! ...and thanks to the 5th grade team for providing female interactions.

6) I am thankful for laughter. I love middle school aged kids but yes they can get obnoxious. I was thinking about a student in particular and even though he drives me absolutely up the wall, at least three days a week, he also makes me laugh constantly. Most of the time it's because I'm at my wit's end but that laughter is medicine.

7) I am thankful for little moments.  I love Heather's blog from the other day because those moments where you feel like you taught something and got through to a difficult child are priceless. Also, Amy's blog because the days where you have to laugh at goof off's is just middle school and those are priceless too.

8) I'm thankful for stupid questions. Yes there is such a thing. I tell my kids there are none but it's a lie. Example: "Ms. Boland, why are we numbering our paper? Do we have a test today?"...yes, I'm going to pretend you didn't ask that and you studied all night. As absolutely frustrating as stupid questions are they let you know who you need to help focus the most.

9) I'm thankful for kids who care.  A lot of my students do not grow up in households that stress grades. My kids could care less about failing every test, quiz, studying, etc. The few that have that inner competitiveness....God Bless them. They make me keep going and help me try to help those who don't want to help themselves.

10) I'm thankful for school. As broken as our education system might be I'm thankful that I have an opportunity to do what I was born to do.  Nothing else has ever felt like a good fit so I'm very thankful...

Sorry it's a long one...again. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

1 comment: